CLIFTON HILL HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
According to the “History of Randolph and Macon Counties” dated 1880, the first school in Clifton township (NOT Clifton Hill as reported in some chronicles) was erected on the Samuel Johnson farm in approximately 1839. This area was known as “Possum Hollar”.
This text does not specify when the first school in Clifton Hill was erected, but does state that Clifton Hill was laid out in 1866. The text further states that the first school teacher was Ansel Richardson.